Collectibles-General (Antiques)/watertown slide table

Question
watertown slide table
watertown slide table  

table
table  
HiMr Taylor,

I just pulled this table from a display support we used in our art gallery and found you via google using watertown slide as a subject.  I loved your knowledge as to the wood and age of a similar table.  Can you tell as much about my table from a pic?  I love beautiful wood and ia just a craftsmanship.  I am very impressed by the quality of the workmanship in this table, and love the wood as well, athough imo the wood is a quality level below what I normally am prefer.

Answer
Richard - That is what used to be called a "plantation" table. It looks like a fold over game table but opens to a full dining table. It was very useful in the Depression era when many people had to move to smaller quarters and especially after World War II when housing was in such short supply.

The table is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal era table of the early 1800s.

The wood is several varieties of mahogany solids and veneer. The skirt is crotch cut mahogany veneer. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer. The top veneer is called "plum pudding" mahogany. I don't what kind of wood you are used to dealing with but this is some of the finest in the world.

The table was factory made in the late 1940s. Watertown was the maker of the slide only, not the table.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor