Collectibles-General (Antiques)/1800s cedar blanket chest

Question
Cedar Chest
Cedar Chest  

Cedar Chest Interior
Cedar Chest Interior  
I'm looking for a value for my cedar chest.
Handmade in Jonesboro, TN sometime in the early 1800s. It was made by my great great grandfather.
40"Wide x 18"Deep x 18.5"Tall.
It has never been refinished and is in near perfect condition.
I'm attaching a picture. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Rebecca

Answer
Hi Rebecca,

That is a very nice looking cedar chest and it's great that you have something that nice made by your great great grandfather.  It appears to be well made and of nice wide cedar boards. Cedar was pretty plentiful in TN and so many cedar chests were made from TN cedar. Of course I can't inspect it well just from a couple pictures, but it does appear to have a nice original finish, which is great.  The age is something I can't verify, but if you have the family history that is good and you would want to maybe type up the history of this item and keep it with it as it gets passed on to other family members.  While I don't deal very much in cedar chests, but rather primarily with antique travel trunks, I don't have as many items for comparison when it comes to current values. I don't see very many cedar chests of that age and in such nice condition. Some experts could inspect the hinges and construction and tell more about the probable age. (But you already know the approximate age if you have a good family history on the piece).  I think the design and size of the chest is very nice also.  Based on what I have seen for other cedar chests and immigrant chests of that period, I would say the value would start at about $500 and in some retail shops could be priced as much as $800 to more. They don't generally sell for more than that unless there is something very unusual about them or they were owned by some famous person, which could be proven somehow.  Sometimes items such as this can have more family sentimental value that actual monetary value also.  You could check with other antique dealers in different areas, but I would expect you would get estimates in the same price range.  
I hope that helps you.  
Marvin Miller

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller