Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique chest.

Wooden chest
Wooden chest  
I was hoping that you might be able to tell me what I have her and what it might be worth. Thank You.

From the picture this appears to be an antique cedar chest. You can probably tell if this is cedar by the scent of the wood, but from the woodgrain it appears to be cedar. I see you are from Tennessee and maybe you are aware that many cedar chests were made in TN but other states also produced many of these. The difficulty in telling you about the age and value of this chest is that these have been made with similar style hardware over a long period of time, from the early 1800's through the mid 1900's. The metal hardware on these chests is quite different than hardware used on antique travel trunks, which was usually patented and therefore the age can be determined more precisely. But because on the early chests of this type the hardware was usually hand forged iron, it take closer examination to tell if it is hand forged or later reproductions of the hardware from stamped steel or newer wrought iron reproduction hardware. Similar hardware is still available for purchase today. Based on the one picture my thought is that this is from the late 1800's to early 1900's, but I cannot examine the construction and details of the hardware. For this type item you would really need a knowledgeable antique dealer or appraiser to look at it closely and determine the approximate age. It is an attractive chest and appears to be in very good condition, so if it is truly an antique piece I would estimate the current value in the range of $500 to $800, possibly higher if it is earlier than the late 1800's. But if it is newer and has reproduction hardware, the value would usually be about half as much in most areas. I recommend that you have an experienced antique dealer, restorer, or appraiser take a look at it.  
I hope this helps some.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.