Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique chifferobe

closet and mirror
closet and mirror  
I would like to know the approximate value and age of this chifferobe.  It belonged to my great-grandfather (b. late 1800s, d. 1966).  It has a mirror that attaches to the drawer side of the chifferobe.  I noticed that the letters K. V. are on the hardware on the inside of the door.  I also noticed the numbers 34 stencilled on the back, and pencil markings that look like 1/25.  It has a skeleton key lock, and the joints of the drawers are dove-tailed.  Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much!  (I can send more photos, if you would like.)

wood is quartersawn oak and oak veneers

made around 1900-1920.

the hanger rod should slide out like a trombone, which is why i call them a trombone hanger.

the key should be a barrel key rather than a skeleton key.  barrel key has a hole in the end that fits over a pin in the lock then turns.

cleaned up in a shop it would price at 350 depending on how solid it is, tops 450.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971