Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Rocker

Rocker - Front View
Rocker - Front View  

Rocker - carving
Rocker - carving  
Hi Fred

A friend of mine gave me her ex-husband's rocker (he didn't want it and she didn't want it) and I have had it for many years and am now looking to sell it.  I was curious about it's value and any additional info you might have concerning an item like this.  When it was refinished, the seat stuffing was old straw.

Also, would you know of anyone in the Denver CO area who could help me sell it or give me more info on it.

Thank you

Diane - The rocker was made around the turn of the 20th century. It was a factory made, mass produced chair and was generally sold through mail order catalogs. Several similar rockers are shown in the 1895 Montgomery Ward catalog and range in price from $4 to $8.

I can't determine the wood in your chair but it is probably birch with a mahogany stain.

In today's market your chair would sell at auction in the $75 to $100 range. I am not familiar with the Denver area.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida