Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Side Table

Question
Antique Side Table
Antique Side Table  
Antique Side Table
Antique Side Table  
QUESTION: I picked this table up at a flea market. I'm interested in finding out the age/style/background of the table. It is very unusual - all of the trim is a heavy metal (brass maybe?)and appears to be done by hand. I'm not sure if the original top was wood, leather covered, or maybe marble? I own another table that has the leather covered wood but it is not nearly such heavy wood nor as sturdily constructed. The pieces supporting the top make me think it was designed to support something fairly heavy. It is solid wood - extremely heavy with all the metal trim. I would appreciate any information you could give me on it as I would like to restore it as close to original condition as possible.  I have a lonely corner for it to call home eventually! Thank you in advance for your help and expertise!  Here is a link to the full-size photos on Imgur if you need them -http://imgur.com/a/VrnQR#0 If you need further photos please let me know. Thank you again!

ANSWER: the metal would be cast; brass or bronze.  ofter misnamed ormolu which is unlikely.

the aprons of the top are veneered over a substrate of another wood.

top would have been marble.

need a picture of the underneath of the base nd underneath of the top and inside the apron, thanks.

everyone will say it is french but this style was also built in the USA in the 1890s to present so the pictures will help.

QUESTION: Update - I emailed you a link to more pictures of the base and underside of the apron. Also - would you have any recommendations on properly restoring it? Thank you again for your help - I am so impressed and grateful that you offer your expertise like this!

Answer
for the present.  just wax it with toluene free Briwax in an amber or light brown color.  apply with a rag, buff with a rag and a shoe brush.  it will clean and polish. do all surfaces including the mounts/brass.

after looking at the pictures it is a 40 year old piece, nicely done and probably was expensive when first purchased.

either use dark glass for the top, very dark, or, granite, any color you like, or marble, either white or gold/black.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein