Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Table

Question
Table 1
Table 1  

Table 2
Table 2  
I bought a table (cheap) off of craigslist,and while I love the look of it regardless, I would like to know the age, manufacturer, wood type, and whether it is a high quality piece (or worth paying to get refinished/restored).  The only markings it has on the wood are: No. 66 table, 45x60, factory order 629-M.  The opening mechanism (which is pretty neat in itself, like a metal wheel or cog)has the most markings - Wabash Table Slide, manufactured by Walter & Company, Wabash Indiana.

Thank you in advance,
Holly

Answer
120s jacobean style dining table with folding leaf.  walnut veneer on top and aprons, sweet gum legs or tulip poplar legs.  stretchers may be walnut veneered or solid with no veneer, if with no veneer then the wood will be sweet gum.

there were thousands of manufacturers in operation so without a label there is no way anyone can tell you the manufacturer.

slides only were made by wabash, they may be original or replacements, you can tell by the condition of the slides.  if they look new then they probably are.  you will have to see about that your self although wabash has been making slides for over a century.

it is a good table, better than standard grade but you have to decide if having it restored is worth the investment.  in my shop it would cost about 1250-1500 to restore if there is only minor repair.

after restoration it will be worth what you have in it.  you must compare to the cost of a new table.  if you like it do it.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein