Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cane seat chair

Cane Seat Chair
Cane Seat Chair  
Hi Bob, I recently purchased this chair and am hoping you can give me some idea of age and possibly where it could have been made. The picture is pretty bad so let me add some observations. There are obvious saw blade marks through out. The spindles spanning legs have obvious chisel marks where attached to the legs. There is a small applique attached to the front with 2 either hand made or very early production nails yet the hips are attached with screws, old ones as they are slotted. Also, there are small pin prick marks around circumference of the cane seat. It also seems that the legs are slightly shorter than you would find in a modern chair, maybe 2 inches but noticeable. Overall pretty primitive but well made. Any guesses?

It was made @ the late 1800s. Any other info would be guesses as at that time in our country, every small town had at least one furniture maker and cities all had several. Picking one would be a needle in the haystack.
Chairs were shorter at that time as beds were also not as long, people were shorter then.
The pin prick marks may be from a layout for the holes or at one time, the cane was broken and replaced by a wood or leather seat held on by a series of tacks.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson

We can answer questions about wicker repair and restoration, chair seating[caning-rush-splint-danish cord] , brass and copper polishing, veneering and veneer repair. WE WILL NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or answer "WHATS IT WORTH" questions. If you want a value, contact us for our current costs for this service.

Just entered our 40th year doing this work. We started in Fl and have been in NC for the last 15 years. We have a web site where we have alot of information about us and a blog at where we have many before and after photos of our work.We also are experienced in Fiat Jolly Seats and other automobile seating and work on Horse Drawn Carriage pieces.

Past president of a historical museum

Antique Shoppe Newspaper, Yadkin Valley Living Magazine, Antique Lynks Newspaper

Seminole HS in Seminole FL class of 1965 and some college before entering service. US Army

Asked to demonstrate seat weaving at the NC Musuem of History, Paleigh, for 3 days. Demonstrated at the Mountain Heritage Festival, Sparta,NC.

Restoring 35 pieces of wicker for the Governors Mansion, Raleigh,NC paid through private funding.