Collectibles-General (Antiques)/one cent lung tester

Question
lung tester
lung tester  
Hi Hi Larry!

i show my stuff to kids for education. I got a one cent lung tester and today it arrived. Not sure how it worked. I do not know where the air goes after i blow into the tube. I wanted to use balloons instead of water to make it work. not sure that will fly (ack .. bad pun!).  

i also cannot find any history for it. stories make the world turn round :) I am doing a benefit for Coney Island since we got messed up by hurricane sandy. I hope you get this in time. thanks so much!

Denny

Answer
Hi Denny, Your machine is a coin op Spirometer.  A medical device used to measure lung capacity.  The bottom of your cylinder is filled to the base of the glass with colored water then when you blow into the tube your air displaces that water causing it to rise in the cylinder.  the harder you blow the higher it rises to measure on the scale.  There were many lung testers made around the turn of the century, but most others were a lot showier to amuse the public.  They were mainly removed from the market during the communicable disease scares in the early 1900's so not many have survived.  The glass jar type were made by a number of companies, and it has been reproduced recently, so be aware of that.  Yours would date around 1900 and if it worked perfectly would bring up to $2100.  Larry

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Larry Bieza