Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dresser

QUESTION: Hello, I just bought a 9 drawer dresser. Underneath the dresser it sais it's a Cavalier brand in Chatanooga.  The previous owner stained it with black on the sides and a cherry color on top. I'm not sure if I should try to restore it or chalk paint it. You're help would be appreciated.

Nice to hear from you.
Personally I like to restore to the way it was and not paint.
Its just a matter of your own taste
Someone has already messed up the original finish anyway.
This will be a well made dresser and will look good either way.

QUESTION: Hello again,
Thank you for your prompt answer. Do you know if there is a website I can find  similar dresser for ideas on the original color?

Hello again
There are quite a few sites where you can get an idea of the colors used.
If you find the stain color you like, get back and possibly I could help you with picking the stain.
But keep in mind, the wood dictates a lot of how the color will turn out. Some woods absorb stain more than others.
Check below..,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44442042,d.b2I&wrapid=tljp1364860332984020&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=vB1aUbzRHMjQ2AXtm4H4CQ

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.