Collectibles-General (Antiques)/F.A. Whitney wicker otooman/seat

I was recently at an estate sale and found a wicker ottoman/seat with storage underneath. It is painted black, but I don't think its the original color. It's in excellent shape. My questions are..if I paint it white will it deter from it's worth? Also, I wish to place a new fabric on the seat..will this also deter from it's value at all. I couldn't find any information on a wicker ottoman/seat. It is rare? Thanks for you time..

To find out if it's "Rare" you would need to see production records to see how many were made. You can paint and change the fabric without taking away from the value since it's already been painted at least once before. Fabric is often replaced and usually doesn't take away from the value, just like recaning seats.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson

We can answer questions about wicker repair and restoration, chair seating[caning-rush-splint-danish cord] , brass and copper polishing, veneering and veneer repair. WE WILL NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or answer "WHATS IT WORTH" questions. If you want a value, contact us for our current costs for this service.

Just entered our 40th year doing this work. We started in Fl and have been in NC for the last 15 years. We have a web site where we have alot of information about us and a blog at where we have many before and after photos of our work.We also are experienced in Fiat Jolly Seats and other automobile seating and work on Horse Drawn Carriage pieces.

Past president of a historical museum

Antique Shoppe Newspaper, Yadkin Valley Living Magazine, Antique Lynks Newspaper

Seminole HS in Seminole FL class of 1965 and some college before entering service. US Army

Asked to demonstrate seat weaving at the NC Musuem of History, Paleigh, for 3 days. Demonstrated at the Mountain Heritage Festival, Sparta,NC.

Restoring 35 pieces of wicker for the Governors Mansion, Raleigh,NC paid through private funding.