Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Henry Muhr & sons gold thimble

Hi Irene.  I have a question about a thimble that we acquired this weekend.  I was wondering if it is a Muhr and sons and also what it is made out of.  It is a gold color and has a decorative band all around the bottom except in one panel.  That panel has someones initials  M.B and then it has the size 8.  Under the size is a crown with an M in the middle.  That is all I can find, not other numbers or marks inside or out.  I don't know anything about thimbles so sorry if I didn't get you all the info you need.  My 10 year old son got this at an auction this weekend and hopes he found a small treasure.

I will also send a couple pictures.

Thanks for your time

Hello Brian,

It sounds like you have already been able to identify your thimble as one made by H. Muhr & Sons.
Muhr marked their thimbles as:
Crown only = silver thimbles from 1885 - 1897
Crown with the "M" inside of the crown = on gold from 1887 onwards.
Crown with a number like 14, 18 etc. below (usually in a circle) and a lion = gold-filled.  This mark can be found placed vertically or horizontally.

If you are still not sure, please send photos and especially of the mark, I'd be happy to look at your thimble for you.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Irene Schwall

I have been a collector of antique sewing tools and thimbles for over 30 years. I am also a dealer in this field and sell on eBay under the name -- serengeti2. I am NOT, and I repeat NOT an expert on antique or vintage domestic household sewing machines used for everyday home sewing. I can offer help when it comes to Toy or miniature collectible sewing machines ONLY.

See information provided above.

Thimble Collectors International
SCTC - Southern California Thimble Club
SDTC - San Diego Thimble Club
OTS - Ohio Thimble Seekers
Priscilla Nutmeggers - CT/MA/NH
Dorset Thimble Society - UK
Rund um den Fingerhut - Germany
Cyberthimble on Yahoo

I belong to Thimble Collectors International & I chair the committee 'Publishing/Grants' and oversee the research and publication of booklets relating to sewing tools and thimbles. I have also had articles published on needlework related topics.

See information provided above.