Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Johnson-Handley-Johnson Table

Question
JHJ Table
JHJ Table  

JBJ Seal
JBJ Seal  
Dear Mr. Klein,

Can you provide additional information regarding this Johnson-Handley-Johnson Co. table?   My mother obtained this piece from an estate sale in the early 1980’s.  I have searched the Internet and cannot find anything on this piece.  I do know the history of JHJ Co. and know the seal used was consistent with those in 1927 and after.  The seal located under the top also has the number 2055 burned into it along with a chalk marking the number as well.  

The top is an octagon with carvings all around.  It looks like a combination of both hand and man-made.  Not sure what type of wood or style this is either.  

Any information you can provide would be most appreciated including approximate worth.

Tamara

Answer
this is a manufactured table.  machine assisted hand work.  stained with water based dye and lacquer finish.  the finish is original.  it is from the 1920s and is a lamp table of side table.  wood is sweet gum and/or tulip poplar,  the top is likely walnut veneered.

style is loosely jacobean style and would be called colonial revival style.

the numbers are inventory or production numbers.

in a retail store it would price at 350.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein