Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mills Novelty castle 5-cent slot machine

Question
photo-front
photo-front  
We have a Mills Novelty castle nickel slot machine that we would like to sell. It has been in our family for over 60 years. In attempting to research this machine, I have noticed that the castle models have different color combinations on the front. I haven't seen any pictures of machines with our colors (ours is a black background with a red, yellow, silver castle pattern).

Does the color combination affect the value? Can you give me an idea of the value of ours?  (photo attached)

What is a good way to go about selling a slot machine?

Does the seller generally pay to ship it to the buyer, or does the buyer pay and arrange for shipping? If we are responsible for shipping, can you provide an estimate for how much it might cost to ship? And how would we go about shipping it? Getting a custom-made crate would be extremely expensive!

Thank you for whatever information you can provide. I really appreciate your time. Thank you for volunteering your expertise on this website!

Answer
Mills Mystery, blue, castle, and silent, front
Mills Mystery, blue, c  
Hi Dee,

I have seen a few black and red ones, they are more uncommon but they did make them these colors. Most were in the blue and red colors. This doesn't affect the value any either way on these Mills castle front machines, a.k.a. blue fronts and a.l.a. Mystery front. I'll attach a value guide here for you, it is old but has a bunch of helpful information on this machine and the values are right in there for today. Crag's list is one place to run a free local adds, or you can consign it to an antique store, auction house, or ebay auction are some other ways to sell it. This is a very common machine and there are lots of these out there in the collector's world. I think I have four of them myself right now but all blue and no black ones. Value range, is from a range of about 900.00 to 1800.00 and sell for around the 1,400.00 area in most cases. Generally the buyer takes care of shipping in auctions, and insurance is available for the shipping. I use a dish pack box from U-Hull, and sometimes also use a wardrobe box so I can double box it, and I line the first box with Styrofoam insulation and then lots of Styrofoam peanuts, then I band the box with metal banding. I then use Fed-X for shipping in most cases.

I hope the information is useful to you.
Thank You
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson