Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Needle

Old Needle
Old Needle  
I have an old needle with a ball point tip and engraving on it. It appears to be gold. Can you tell me anything about this. I found this in an old sewing cabinet that I bought.

Hello James,

What you have is indeed a needlework tool or sewing item.  It is known as a Bodkin.  Without knowing if there are hallmarks on your piece, it is not possible for me give you a Provenance.  
Bodkins can still be found in fitted sewing boxes but many can be found as a single item and they generally date to the mid 1800s. They were owned by both men and women and they were equally important to both sexes. They were used for running in drawstrings and threading and re-threading ribbons, cords and laces.  The earliest record of a bodkin dates to around 1652.  
Bodkins can also be found in silver as well as gold and by the late 18th century, many were sold as souvenirs and embossed with lettering or phrases such as 'forget-me-not.'

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Irene Schwall

I have been a collector of antique sewing tools and thimbles for over 30 years. I am also a dealer in this field and sell on eBay under the name -- serengeti2. I am NOT, and I repeat NOT an expert on antique or vintage domestic household sewing machines used for everyday home sewing. I can offer help when it comes to Toy or miniature collectible sewing machines ONLY.

See information provided above.

Thimble Collectors International
SCTC - Southern California Thimble Club
SDTC - San Diego Thimble Club
OTS - Ohio Thimble Seekers
Priscilla Nutmeggers - CT/MA/NH
Dorset Thimble Society - UK
Rund um den Fingerhut - Germany
Cyberthimble on Yahoo

I belong to Thimble Collectors International & I chair the committee 'Publishing/Grants' and oversee the research and publication of booklets relating to sewing tools and thimbles. I have also had articles published on needlework related topics.

See information provided above.