Collectibles-General (Antiques)/parlor chair

QUESTION: Hi Robert:
I have recently purchased this adorable little chair that I want to recover. It was manufactured by the Rouseeau Bros.MFG Co. It is covered in a floral vinyl. The latest date on the back is 1929 and also has the number 17 written on the back. But this company was founded in 1936. Can you explain this? I have seen similar chairs that they made from the 1960s but they do not have the gathered top trim. Can you please tell me about the chair and the value of it.
Thanks for your time

ANSWER: please picture the dates you refer to on the chair

QUESTION: Hi. Robert:
Sorry I thought I sent a picture of the tag also the # 17 is hand written on the back of the tag.  I'll try it again here goes.

we call the tag the law tag.  the date on that is just in reference to when the acts/laws were approved and/or applied.  it has little to do with date of manufacturer.  only the law.

the overall look and material which is 1960s when vinyl was used in their production.  that there is a bit of fluff or added decoration only would indicate to me that it was the upper line or it was recovered and enhanced.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971