Collectibles-General (Antiques)/sectional file cabinet - possible globe-wernicke

sectional file cabinet
sectional file cabinet  

I have a sectional file cabinet that is about 18" deep, 42" wide, and 78" tall.  There are seven sections including the top.  It closely resembles the pictures on web sites of a Globe-Wernicke.  I can not find any manufacture markings anywhere.  It is made of quarter sawn oak. It has had a finish applied sometime in it's life.  The bottom two drawers are dovetailed.  All hardware is in tact and functional.  I also have many file dividers for the full size file drawers.  It has received a few dings and dents over it's life.  I would consider it to be in good condition.  I have emailed you a couple of pictures. Can send more if needed.  Looking for a value.  Thank you, Tony.

Tony - The side hardware between the sections certainly looks like G-W hardware.

Here is a virtually identical cabinet with a slightly different arrangement of drawers that sold at auction for $900 in January 2012.  

That would certainly be the ball park for your cabinet.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida