Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Shaker Rocking chair

shaker chair
shaker chair  

I bought this chair awhile ago and understood it to be an early 19th century rocker but now iwonder if it is actually a shaker rocking chair.  any assistance is appreciated

Tim - I am no expert on Shaker rockers but even to me that does not appear to be a Shaker item - it has too many turns. Take a look at this Shaker rocker no. 7 that sold at auction in 2011 in Massachusetts. It has flat arms and almost no turnings.

I think yours is a Shaker style rocker, not a true Shaker  piece.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida