Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Table

I have recently came across a table left by my grandmother. It has some damage to the corner and is stamped Berkey & Gay. Any suggestions to what it is or could be worth and suggestions on what to do with it?

i would need a picture of the whole table to help accurately bu i will say at this time that a proper repair to the damage shown would cost around 400-450 which i suspect would be close to the retail cost of the table once that part was repaired.  a poor repair would render the table value very low so do not attempt or let an amateur work on this 1920s table.

completely resotred would run around 1000-1200 and at that time it would be worth that.

you can see in the photo that the end of the table is no longer level due to the damage.  moisture has swelled the secondary wood and caused it to curve slightly.  The original glue used to attached the two layers of veneer was hot hide glue and that is what needs to be used for repair.

where are you located, i may know someone in the area that can do this for you.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971