Collectibles-General (Antiques)/thimbles

Question
I found two thimbles among my great aunt's belongings.
They both are from Simons I believe. One has "A Stitch in Time Saves Nine" embossed. Any idea of the age of this thimble?
The other one has a swirl pattern at the bottom and her initials engraved.
Thank you.

Answer
Hello Dianne.  

The Simon's Stitch in Time thimble was issued in the early 1900s and re-issued in the 1940s.  It's not possible to tell which one yours may be, as they are identical.  It is not a rare thimble, although it is desirable.  It frequently shows up on ebay.  I cannot tell you a value without seeing the thimble.  Many things affect the value - is it out of round?  Are there any holes in the knurling?  Are there needle scratches?  Are there dings or cracks, etc.?  As for the other thimble, again, without seeing it, I can't be of much help.  Simons was a very prolific thimble maker and still issues thimbles to this day.  

Hope this helps.  

Barbara

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Barbara K. Acchino

I have been collecting for almost 30 years.

ThimbleCollectors@ONElist.com; Thimble Collectors International (TCI); Thimble Guild; Thimbletter & Thimbletter II, Empire State Thimble Collectors; CyberThimble; Yahoo Thimble Club

"Sewing with Scotties" Scottie Sampler; various articles for the "Bulletin" - official newsletter of Thimble Collectors International (TCI)

TCI's President's Award