Collectibles-General (Antiques)/trunk with Eagle Lock Company lock

I have a trunk and I'm not sure how old it is or if it has any value. I was wondering if you could tell by the images I have sent. It's in good condition, but one of the handles in broken.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Your trunk is a style that was made by several trunk companies from the 1930's to the early 1950's. The style of the hardware including the drawbolt style latches are typical of that time period. Some of these trunks are found with labels but many do not have a label. Eagle Lock Company made many types of trunk locks for trunk companies, including the barrel key style such as yours.  They were in business for 100 years when they closed in 1954, but they never made trunks. Your trunk is a general packing trunk and is made of wood covered with sheets of vulcanized fiber, which is a hard heat treated pressed fiber material.  It was used on many trunks, mostly from about 1910 and into the 1950's on trunks, footlockers, etc. Since the trunk is not a rare or earlier model, the value is not very high. But I do see a lot of these being sold and the prices are starting to increase some, especially if they are in very good condition. Nearly all of these also had an inside lift out tray and were paper lined. I usually see these sell in the range of about $75 to $200. It could be priced higher in some retail shops in certain areas.   I hope that helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.