Collectibles-General (Antiques)/7 Antique Flame Mahogany Chairs

Question
5 Flame Mahogany Chairs
5 Flame Mahogany Chair  

2 Flame Mahogany Chairs
2 Flame Mahogany Chair  
Hi Bob,
We recently acquired 7 antique dining chairs, consisting of a set of 5 and another very similar set of 2.
The previous owner told us they are rosewood, but we believe they are flame mahogany, and a google search suggests the same. Please look at the two links I am e-mailing you separately.
These chairs are on the small side. The set of 2, with the pointed top center, are 31.5" tall, 17" from floor to top of seat, 17.5" across front ( including wood frame), and 15.5" deep. The other set of 5 are 31.5" tall, 17.5" from floor to top, 17 3/4" across front, 15" deep.
The wood is in original condition, the seats were obviously re-upholstered at some time when red velvet was popular.
We are undecided if we want to offer these chairs for sale as they are,(together with a newly restored Duncan Phyfe style double pedestal mahogany table), or restore and re-upholster them. Getting an idea as to the price difference will help us decide.

My questions to you are:
1)would you agree that the chairs are made of flame mahogany?
2) What is their age? The link seems to suggest any where from 1840 - 70 ?
3) what is their retail value, either as is , or completely restored?
4) what kind of gloves do you recommend when working with wood stripper?
My husband is complaining that the chemical gloves harden quickly and he looses sensitivity. And when working with neoprene gloves ( even when wearing two each on one hand) he soon feels a tingling sensation in his fingers and hands which worries us.

Many thanks in advance!

Answer
the back slat and crest rail are flame mahogany veneer.  the remainder is plain sawn mahogany

have to see under and inside the seat rails to be sure but probably 1840

250-400 per chair

heavy rubber gloves sold by Benco Sales in Tennessee.

My husband is complaining that the chemical gloves harden quickly and he looses sensitivity.
he is correct, there are no gloves that offer protection that are comfortable or give sensitivity.  what stripper is he using?

And when working with neoprene gloves ( even when wearing two each on one hand) he soon feels a tingling sensation in his fingers and hands which worries us.
depending on the stripper he is using this would be normal, not good, just normal.

if you will note on these chairs, the grain is the same on each back slat and on each crest rail.  this was done purposely and indicates a hand selected flitch of veneer.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein