Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique armoire

Top left corner
Top left corner  
I have an antique armoire/wardrobe which is 76" high and 48 " wide.  The center mirrored panel opens to a rod where clothes are hung.  The bottom panel opens a storage drawer and it has the original metal drawer pulls.  The wardrobe section can be separated from the drawer section to make moving easier.  It has BUN/BALL feet and narrow" rope" trim on the corners.

It is absolutely my favorite piece of furniture and I would never feel it but I am curious about where it was made, it's value, and it's age.  Also, what style is it?

I can certainly send you more closeups if you need them...I don't think the full-frontal pic does it justice.

Thank you for your time.

appears that i have fallen short on my knowledge.  what is it that i missed?  what else did you need?  help me improve by letting me know.

You know it is oak and it was made around 1920s early 30s.  such good condition i assume it has been refinished in the past 20-30 years and been kept well cared for.

It appears to be of english or belgium origin.

without a label there is no way to ever determine the manufacturer.  in the USA there were over 5000 in operation, in england and belgium i dont know how many.  I do not study the european manufacturers.

an insurance replacement value would be around 1500-1800, a retail selling price around 750 but the prices do vary depending on location.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971