Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique trunks

Question
misc pics
misc pics  
QUESTION: I have four antique trunks and I would to know when were they made by whom were they made and and where were they manufactured. Thank you so much for any information you might have. I will send you pics.

ANSWER: Hi,  if you add a couple pictures of your trunks I will try to help you with that information. The one picture that was included looked like the back of a ship or something.  
Thanks,
Marvin

pieces
pieces  

pieces
pieces  
QUESTION: Sorry I will send you the right pics

Answer
1911 trunk catalog
1911 trunk catalog  
Hi Julie,

The first trunk with gold metal is a Round Top Cross Slat style trunk, made sometime from about 1890 to as late as about 1915.  These were made by many trunk companies in the U.S. and were very popular for many years, so many were made. They didn't change much for many years and some had metal covering and others had canvas or leather covering.  That trunk has probably been repainted because I've never seen original ones with those colors. Some of these trunks have a maker's label inside or a name plate on the outside, but many don't have a label. So without a label it's nearly impossible to tell which company made it because there were hundreds of trunk makers in the U.S. around 1900.  
The second trunk is a general purpose packing or travel trunk from the 1940's to 1950's.  It is covered with vulcanized fibre and based on the hardware styles I can tell it's from that time period or even a little later.  Some companies are still in business making some similar trunks, including the Seward Trunk company in Petersburg, VA.  Again, without a label it's very hard to know where it was made and by which company.   
I'm attaching a catalog page from a company which made many trunks of the Cross Slat style.  

Hope this helps.
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller