Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique trunks

misc pics
misc pics  
QUESTION: I have four antique trunks and I would to know when were they made by whom were they made and and where were they manufactured. Thank you so much for any information you might have. I will send you pics.

ANSWER: Hi,  if you add a couple pictures of your trunks I will try to help you with that information. The one picture that was included looked like the back of a ship or something.  

QUESTION: Sorry I will send you the right pics

1911 trunk catalog
1911 trunk catalog  
Hi Julie,

The first trunk with gold metal is a Round Top Cross Slat style trunk, made sometime from about 1890 to as late as about 1915.  These were made by many trunk companies in the U.S. and were very popular for many years, so many were made. They didn't change much for many years and some had metal covering and others had canvas or leather covering.  That trunk has probably been repainted because I've never seen original ones with those colors. Some of these trunks have a maker's label inside or a name plate on the outside, but many don't have a label. So without a label it's nearly impossible to tell which company made it because there were hundreds of trunk makers in the U.S. around 1900.  
The second trunk is a general purpose packing or travel trunk from the 1940's to 1950's.  It is covered with vulcanized fibre and based on the hardware styles I can tell it's from that time period or even a little later.  Some companies are still in business making some similar trunks, including the Seward Trunk company in Petersburg, VA.  Again, without a label it's very hard to know where it was made and by which company.   
I'm attaching a catalog page from a company which made many trunks of the Cross Slat style.  

Hope this helps.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.