Collectibles-General (Antiques)/barrel top trunks

Question
barrel trunk
barrel trunk  
barrel trunk
barrel trunk  
QUESTION: i have this trunk and the only thing i can find is a paper label inside that reads Chilton,Guthrie&co. 522 w.main st. Louisville Ky. can u tell me where i can find inf. on it,PS the inside has the look like the small picture on this old trunk with two box's in the lid and the tray has three box,s with two of the lid's missing

Barrel Top Trunk
Barrel Top Trunk  
ANSWER: Hello,
There were hundreds of trunk manufacturers in the United States and even more trunk retail stores and there is very little information available on many of them.  I know that because I've been researching them for many years and still don't have information on many of the companies, other than where they were located.  While Chilton, Guthrie & Co may have made your trunk, it also could have been a retail store for trunks and luggage. I have a trunk that has a label with "Guthrie's Trunk Store" at that location in Louisville, KY.  Most cities had a few or as many as a dozen trunk manufacturing companies at some time.  They usually made a wide variety of trunk styles and sizes.  Sometimes you can get some information on a company from the business bureau or historical society of the town or city where it was made or sold.  I don't have any specific information on Chilton and Guthrie. But I have attached a picture of a Barrel Stave Top trunk from a catalog from about 1890 and you can see some of the information they provided about it. These trunks were made with canvas, paper, metal, and leather covering. If you send a couple pictures of the whole trunk I would see what else I can tell you about your trunk.  
Marvin, ThisOldTrunk  

barrel trunk
barrel trunk  
QUESTION: i hope these pictures help,the first one shows u the lid up so u can c there r two compartments in it and the tray that has three compartment with two lids missing and it folds up and locks to the top.the second one shows the lid down on the bottom of the trunk there r four wooden rollers,and the outside is mostly leather.

Answer
Hi, I only see one more picture showing up.  This is the typical style inside for most of these trunks. This was called the Eugenie style with the compartments in the lid and the the tray with the higher side on the right for the hat compartment.  It's like the one in the catalog picture that I sent you.  Each company made the trunks just a little different and they used many different styles of paper trim and pictures in them.  Most of the trunks had small rollers on the bottom also.  There were many different types of trunk hardware because there were many people designing and patenting new ideas when trunks were very popular.  I really can't tell you anything more about this trunk from those pictures.
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller