Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Brearley bathroom scale

bath scale box front
bath scale box front  

bath scale box back
bath scale box back  
I found a Brearley bathroom scale SK779-10 in my mother's basement. It has never been removed from the factory sealed box. Can you tell me about it, and how much it is worth in its never-been-removed-from-the-box condition?

Thanks so much!

Hi Dave,

Mayfair scales like yours sold for $1.99 in a 1969 magazine advertisement.  Brearley was in business from 1936 into the late 1970s in Rockford, IL. They manufactured baby and bathroom scales and were also known by the Counselor brand name and Counselor, Detecto and Borg were merged into Sunbeam in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

More info on these companies and their scales may be found in Hanssen's Book of Scales (2007)available on

Retail value of your scale might be $35-$50.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia