Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cavalier chest lock

Cavalier wood chest
Cavalier wood chest  
QUESTION: Hi I was wondering about a cavalier wood chest I just got but the lock was removed. I would like to install 1 back in. Any help to find this part would be greatly appreciated.
Thank u kindly

ANSWER: Hi Arnauld
Nice to hear from you.
The original lock could have been removed because the owners feared kids might lock each other inside and die.
I understand the Lane cedar chests had a deadly lock and many kids died as a result.
I suggest no lock be reinstalled on your chest.

QUESTION: I appreciate your answer and concern but I want a lock put back on I have no kids around. Can you guide me to where I can get the replacement lock thanx

Hi Again Arnauld
Sorry, I should have answered your question as asked.
The locking device you need can be obtained at any locksmiths or here.

I have dealt with this place in the past with no hesitation. Very reputable.
Good luck

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.