Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Craddock Rose chair

I am new to restoration and antique knowledge. I have recently acquired 6 Craddock Rose chairs (I have no picture but saw one on this site for sale). The chairs were not stored properly and the original seat material is dirty with some stains.  The wood has some scratches. They are very sturdy and I want to use them in my home.  I want to just polish the wood.  Should I replace the original material or is there a way to clean it properly?

if they are the type of seats that come out they can be easily cleaned with fabric cleaners available.

if they do not come out this can be done as well.

using toluene free Briwax in a color a bit darker than the wood will enhance the chairs tremendously.

i usually do not answer questions without a picture but just wanted to try and help you on your way!!

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971