Collectibles-General (Antiques)/decorative wood box

box pic1
box pic1  

box pic2
box pic2  
Could you please tell me what this box was intended to be used for.The wood dividers are removable.It was likely brought from England by my grandfather.On the bottom  there is a burnt in stamp with oriental letters.The stamp is not easy to read but I can make out"Mad  ry  Lee" and Shanghai china.

Hi Jeff
Nice to hear from you.
This is a really nice box. I have never seen one nicer.
My first thought was its for flatware (knives, forks, teaspoons and soup spoons and napkins stored in the lid.
But it does not look wide enough for for that.
So my guess is its a letter/ document box.
Its also a keeper.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.