Collectibles-General (Antiques)/fairbanks scale

My grandfather has a Faribanks scale on his farm to weight crops and animals. The top scale goes up to 12000 lbs the bottom scale goes to 5000 lbs and the far right scale goes to 500 lbs. I know it is at least 50 years old but I'm guessing it is older. I but don't have any information past that. I would love to find out more about it and restore it for a decoration unless it would depreciat it. Can you tell me the age and value?

Hi Maurice,

If you send a photo of the scale to us at we may be able to help. If you can find a serial number on the beam or platform we have a list that will help to date the scale.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia