Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Humidor Stand?

Question
Humidor Stand?
Humidor Stand?  
I was given this cute little stand and think it may be a humidor.  It has a nice compartment in the middle and ends that look like it could hold magazines.

Answer
Rhonda - Your stand is a combination magazine rack and smoking stand or a "smoker." Smoking stands were first popular around the turn of the century and then the popularity faded until the Depression. During the Depression of the 1930s many companies turned to the manufacture of small items to have something affordable to sell that people could afford to buy rather than entire sets of furniture. These items were called "novelties" and included things like magazine racks, hanging shelves, magazine and lamp tables and smoking stands. You can see a number of novelty items in the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books. http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Depression-Era-Accessories-1920S/dp/0891453326/r

Your stand was made in the late 1920s to early 1930s. The boldly striped veneer is Australian walnut, also called orientalwood or oriental walnut. It was favorite of furniture makers of the period and was used extensively in Art Moderne (Art Deco) style pieces of the period although your piece is not Art Deco style. The wood is found only in a small part of coastal eastern Australia and has not been available in large commercial quantities since World War II. Most of the solid wood is a secondary wood, probably red gum.

It appears to be a very useful piece and some professional TLC would greatly improve its appearance. Here is a similar cabinet that sold at auction in 2012 for $150.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/12277544_black-copper-lined-smoking-standmag

Yours would sell at auction in the $75-$150 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor