Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Imperial cabinet

Question
Imperial Cabinet
Imperial Cabinet  

Imperial Cabinet
Imperial Cabinet  
I inherited this Imperial cabinet from my elderly aunt. It was given to her by another elderly lady who might have been the person who put the paint on it. It has the Imperial label inside one of the side compartments, green label with the crown on top, which says "Imperial Furniture, Grand Rapids Michigan. On the underside of the bottom drawer there is a number 702. All the drawers are all dovetailed on all 4 corners, with slight round over on the rear joints. I have taken good care of it since it came into my possession in 1992. I would like to remove the fake antiquing paint job, but do not want to damage the underlying finish if the piece has any value. The underlying finish appears to be a dark shellac or lacquer. I would like to find out what kind of cabinet it is, if it has any value and would I ruin the value by stripping off the overlaying paint that someone had put on it. I will send additional images to your email as I took pictures of all 4 sides as well as the drawers. Thank you for your help and assistance.

Sincerely,

Mary Gabriel

Answer
answered by email.

this is a Martha Washington sewing stand made around 1900-1920s.

you cannot remove the paint on it without removing the original coating.  a professional could if they have the skills and training.

proper refinishing will not hurt the value of this but i cannot stress enough 'proper refinishing'.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein