Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Platform rocker

Needing to sell my Great Grandma's old platform rocker and wanted as much history as you know and a value. Appreciate anything you can tell me.
Thanks so much! -Ashley

Ashley - Thanks for the great photos. Your rocker is Eastlake style from the late 19th century - 1880-1890. Charles Locke Eastlake was an English designer who was a leader in the rebellion against Victorian excesses. He advocated a return to value and simple design in furniture. He published his influential book “Hints on Household Taste” in England in 1868 and in the US in the early 1870s. His ideas of straight lines and simple decoration appealed to the machine-driven factory made furniture production of the era and even though Eastlake never actually designed a single piece of furniture, his name is attached to one of America’s most produced styles.

The style is identified by the shallow geometric carvings and the overall "mechanical" look. The spindles under the arms are another Eastlake hallmark. They are "honeydippers." Turned wooden spindles like these were actually used to dip honey from a jar in the late 19th century. The chair is made of solid walnut.

Eastlake has not done very well in the market in the last few years. Your chair would sell at auction in the $100 range. However you probably can get around $200 for it in a private retail sale.

Good luck.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida