Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocker

Rococo style?
Rococo style?  

Rocking chair close up
Rocking chair close up  
Hi Mr. Taylor,

Thank you in advance for your expertise.  I believe what I have is a Rococo Revival style rocking chair.  I am trying to determine age and value.  The leg was broken off when we got the chair and we had it repaired so i know the value will be less now.  

Also, any idea how to get the stain out or is that something I shouldn't even attempt?

Thank you,

Linda - That is a nice Rococo Revival reproduction made anywhere from the 1940s to the 1970s. Several furniture manufacturers in the South specialized in Rococo Revival in the 1950s and early 1960s. You can tell it is a 20th century reproduction by the carving on the crest. Period pieces from the mid 19th century had sharp edged carvings. The carvings on this chair were mach9ne carved by a spindle carver and are more rounded and soft.

Since I don't know what the fabric is I suggest you ask an upholsterer about the stain.

Your rocker would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida