Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sligh Dresser

Question
Sligh Dresser Front
Sligh Dresser Front  

Sligh Dresser Logo
Sligh Dresser Logo  
Good afternoon Mr. Taylor,

I am interested in learning an estimate of date and value for the Sligh dresser/armoir in the attached photos. I have a photo of the dresser with doors open, but appears I can only attach two photos. Inside are found two columns of five drawers each.

I appreciate your expertise and reply.

Sincerely,
Antonio

Answer
Antonio - A cabinet with stacked drawers inside is called a "press." That style logo was used by Sligh in the late 1910s to very early 1920s. It changed around 1922. The cabinet is made of ribbon striped mahogany veneer  and secondary woods.

The finish appears to be slightly hazy because in the early 1920s the standard finish was shellac, before the widespread use of lacquer. Shellac is an organic finish that oxidizes as it ages and begins to "alligator" and darken.  

Your press would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor