Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Wabash Stand #626

Question
Wabash Stand
Wabash Stand  

Wabash Stand
Wabash Stand  
We have a Wabash Stand, on the back is a plate that says The Wabash Cabinet Co. also on the back is stenciled the #626, it also has a pencil date written on it January 6, 1941.

We are wondering what the value of this stand might be, as we are down sizing and are going from a house to an apartment.

Answer
Richard - Your display cabinet falls in the category of "novelty" furniture. During the Depression of the 1930s many companies turned to the manufacture of small items to have something affordable to sell that people could afford to buy rather than entire sets of furniture. These items were called "novelties" and included things like magazine racks, hanging shelves, magazine and lamp tables and smoking stands. You can see a number of novelty items in the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books. http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Depression-Era-Accessories-1920S/dp/0891453326/r

Your stand is made of flat cut Honduran mahogany and secondary woods.

Since pieces like this were mass produced and are not rare, condition is an important part of value. Your stand has some condition issues in the finish that can easily be remedied by a professional restoration artist but in its current condition the stand would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor