Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Carved Cherub Back Rocking Chair

Question
AntiqueRockerCherub
AntiqueRockerCherub  
Hello Fred -

This rocker has been in our family for generations, passed down to us from my husband's grandmother in the early 1960s.

The most unique feature of this chair is a carved cherub face at the headrest. We have not been able to find anything similar. The chair has not been restored but there is evidence of repair. The repair includes metal screws where the seat meets the back in the side brackets.

The rocker is armless with a round seat and we believe the back is referred to as a violin back.

We are hoping you may be able to provide information on the style, history and value.

We can provide additional photos if needed. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answer
Jackie - Your chair is a factory made piece from around the turn of the 20th century. The shape of the back rest, called the splat, is a standard Queen Anne vase shape.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vase+shaped+splat&client=firefox-a&hs=0fb&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0OqEUcfCFobI9gSmsoCABA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=895

The chair is probably made of birch with a mahogany finish. It probably was designed to be used as a nursing or sewing rocker. The cherub indicates the association with an infant. The low armless rocker became popular in the late 19th century as a chair devoted entirely to feminine tasks. It was included as a standard part of many late 19th century bedroom suites. This custom continued through the Depression era of the 1930s.

The market cannot and does not take into account the value of family history in valuing furniture so the actual market value in this case will not approach the worth of the chair to the family. It would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor