Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Cifferobe Value

Whole Cifferobe
Whole Cifferobe  

Upclose Chifferobe
Upclose Chifferobe  
My mother has an antique chifferobe she would like to know the value of. She inherited it from her mother who had gotten it from her mother. It is believed to be from the 1800's and maybe brought over from Germany. The 2 doors have their original skeleton keys attached next to them with string. I have enclosed a couple pictures. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Stephanie - A cabinet that has a door on one side and stacked drawers on the other is called a “chifferobe.” It is a combination of a “chiffonier” which is a tall chest of drawers and a wardrobe or armoire. The name is a combination of the two words. In your case you have a double chifferobe.

Your cabinet is Queen Anne style and was American factory made in the early 20th century, 1900-1920. The side panels, door panels and back are probably made of plywood which will verify the 20th century origin.It is made of poplar or birch. The space behind door on the top is designed to be used for hat storage. This was a gentleman's piece of furniture, able to contain all of his personal possessions. It was sometimes called a bachelor's cabinet.

Here is a similar double cabinet with mirrored doors that sold at auction for $60.

While the cabinet has immense personal and sentimental value for the family, the market is not so inclined. Large cabinets like this do not fit well in modern houses. Your cabinet would sell at auction in the $100 -$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida