Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique desk

inside desk, has two keys
inside desk, has two k  
antique desk
antique desk  
QUESTION: I am trying to find info on a desk I need to sell for a friend. It is a wonderful small desk. I will send the photos. Thank you, Cindy Miller

ANSWER: Cindy - The desk is similar in form to both the secretaire a abattant

and the 17th century Spanish vargueno

The desk is from the 1930s to late 1940s and is made of walnut. I have a very similar desk I have used for years and find it useful to hide lots of junk.

This desk would sell at auction in the $300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

QUESTION: I have a few other things that I would like to show you sometime. Would that be ok? Thank you, Cindy

Cindy - I will be glad to help if I can. You can send clear photos with descriptions to me as .jpg files at Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not respond.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida