Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Chair Inquiry

Side Chair
Side Chair  

Side Chair
Side Chair  
Bought this chair about 2 years ago from a thrift shop. Loved the design and the carved wood. Could you take a look at the 2 photos and advise when it was made, where, and value? Also, I know it's a side chair; does it have a specific name?

Have more photos if needed. Thanks very much in advance.

is the seat height taller than normal??

it used to have a woven cane seat and it was made around 1890 a late eastlake victorian style.

where it was made would be impossible to tell without a label.  there were about 5000 factories in operation in the USA at the time.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971