Collectibles-General (Antiques)/I don't know what it is!

Question
Chest
Chest  

Chest
Chest  
Hi, I am trying to find out if this piece is worth keeping, needs a lots of work, has lost most of its color, I have not been altered.  I would like to know possible age, precedence and how much could be worth and if restoration could be a possibility?

Thanks!

Answer
Monica,
I'm pretty sure that this is a carved chest from India. I've seen a variety of them over the years and somehow many of them have been brought over to the U.S.  I've seen them in a variety of sizes, but they all seem to have similar carvings and metal ornamentation. While I can't tell the size, this one seems to be a little larger and a little more ornate than most I've seen. These are hard to tell the age from pictures and they are still making and importing these chests from India, made to look old.  But I would estimate that this one is from the early 1900's.  While this is not something that I work on, I do believe it could be carefully cleaned and finished and would look very nice when completed. I've seen a couple similar chests priced in the range of about $500 to $800, but if properly treated and finished it could be worth even more.  It's usually best not to repaint these antiques, but to preserve any original paint and coloring and possibly treat the wood with tung oil finish or something to help preserve the wood and other materials.  I would suggest you look for an expert antique restorer in your area that could actually look this over and give you their opinion about the restoration of the piece.  I hope that helps.
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller