Collectibles-General (Antiques)/What is my Fairbanks scale: marked "U 10979" and 1120?

Question
Fairbanks scale 1
Fairbanks scale 1  

Fairbanks scale 2
Fairbanks scale 2  
What (more specifically) is it, and what is it worth?  I read a lot of the previous inquiries, and I don't see one like this.

The flat portion is 10.5" x 14".  The brass tray is approximately 17.5" across.  The bottom of the scale is marked "U 10979" and 1120.  The brass tray originally had another half-moon on the bottom of one side, but that's missing.

Thanks for fielding my question...y'all are very helpful!

Answer
Hi Eric,

Your Fairbanks Scale is a Union Scale which means that it had two separate weighing positions: the scoop or the platform could be used to weigh the load. It is described as follows in a 1925 Fairbanks catalog: "Platform scoop scale with patented split-hoop scoop and fork.  This scale is equipped with a split-hoop scoop and fork, this design still allowing the scoop to be conveniently set upon a counter but doing away with the objectionable plate and scoop balance weight which may cause errors in weighing.  The entire scale is a strong compact outfit, with a substantial iron frame, forming a stable base, and with pillar, and good sized platform of iron.
the scoop is snugly supported in a broad fork, and is of convenient shape and ample size."

Retail value might be $125-$200.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning