Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Globe-Wernicke bookcase

My husband and I received this bookcase when his uncle died and no one else in the family wanted it. We really don't know too much about it and wondered how much it was worth. We are getting on in years and wanted to let the kids how much it was worth. We have had it for 38 years.    Thank you.

Mary - Thanks for the excellent photos. Your bookcase is made of quarter sawn white oak. Quarter sawing is a method of cutting an oak log that produces the distinctive grain pattern seen in the wood. Quarter sawing is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE.”

The bookcase was made in the early 20th century, 1910-1925. In today's market Globe-Wernicke oak bookcases sell at auction in the $75 - $150 per section as long as the base and crown are present. That means your cabinet is worth $225 to $450. The actual sale price will depend on the auction, the location, the buyers, etc. Most sell within that range. Here is one that sold at the upper end of that range at $450 in November 2012.  

Here's another that sold in the middle of the range at $325 in January 2013.

The important considerations are that all of the hardware is in place and all of the glass is original.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida