Collectibles-General (Antiques)/HP Robertson flat drop down desk

Question
Desk
Desk  

Manufacture label
Manufacture label  
Sir,
   I was given this item by my Grandmother, I do not know the origins before that.  I was thinking about refinishing this item but a friend told me that I may want to check it's value before I did. I apologize before hand on the quality of the pictures.  If I left the item "as is" and not refinished, I wanted to know if it would be worth it to replace the lock that is on the "drop down desk" part.  I've searched through many search engines and sites, I can find several HP Robertson pieces of furniture but known that looks even close to what I have.  The label underneath reads # 1037/HP Robertson Co/MakersofTable/Jamestown New York
   Thank you again for your time, patience and forbearance in this inquiry.

Sherry D. Dickens

Answer
This was made in the 1920s.

To answer your specific question, replacing the lock, if it is missing, is certainly doable.  The locks for this age furniture is easily found.  Whitechapel, paxton, vintage hardware to name a few.

before you refinish, buy toluene free Briwax in a dark or medium walnut color and wax the piece then live with it for a few months, you might like it.  if you take less that an hour or t2oto wa it you have not done a thorough job.

the picture of the wood on the fall front of the desk is too distant to determine the species.  the rest is most likely sweet gum stained a walnut color from the factory.

finish looks to be original.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein