Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Limoges dish

Question
stamp
stamp  
Limoges
Limoges  
QUESTION: I have piece of Limoges porcelain that my grandmother used as a dresser tray to hold hat pins, jewelry, buttons  and other "what-nots"  I have been told that it is a "toast tray" but I cannot imagine using it as a serving dish on the table.

It has a double-stamp on the back...the red stamp is a bell with the handle reading LIMOGES and the bell itself reading T.V.  Immediately beneath the bell is a black rectangle containing the letters T & V and the words
    LIMOGES
    FRANCE
underneath the rectangle.  There is also a very small bit of red ink on the dish itself which may be a signature.  I can email you that third picture if you like.

I am interested in knowing it's age and value.

Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Rebecca,

Thanks for the question.  This piece of Limoges was done anywhere between the late 1890's and 1920 as the mark suggests.  On a piece like this, assuming perfect condition, I would say that that it's value ranges anywhere between $95 and $125, possibly a little more for a specialized piece such as this.

I hope that helps.

Dennis

QUESTION: Dennis,
How do you describe this piece (other than toast tray")?  Is it called a dresser tray, jewelry tray/candy dish.?  The rolled/scroll-like sides  are definitely unique as I have combed through several hundred images on the web and have only found a couple which looked like they had used a similar mold, but the painting was not "cabbage roses in burgundy, pink, and yellow with gold trim "

I am going to take it to a jeweler tomorrow and hope his eye-lens can magnify the signature/ extra mark I see on the dish itself, not the underside.  It is so tiny that my standard magnifying glass can,t tell me much, other than it IS NOT a paint splash....it is definitely a significant mark of some sort.  Anything else I can do to help with it's identity? i

Answer
Rebecca,

I think it would be a dresser tray or a jewelry tray as these items were made in a myriad of forms, decorations and sizes.  I doubt that it has anything to do with toast as toast trays usually looked like bicycle racks (miniature size of course) in either metal of porcelain.

I'm also guessing that the extra mark might be an artist signature.  They were usually found on the bottom of the item(s) but occasionally, one can find them in different spots.  It could also be a stray brush mark...

Dennis

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach