Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Macey Bookcase

Macey Bookcase
Macey Bookcase  

I have always wanted a Macey Barrister bookcase and I finally was able to purchase one!  It is stained a dark brown color and it has a top, a stand, and 5 glassed sections.  The sections are labeled as follows:

2 sections labeled 912
2 sections labeled 910
1 section labeled 98
All with "Macey" in cursive with a circle around it.
All with Finish 15

I was hoping you could tell the approximate age of the bookcase.  Also, it currently has white porcelain pulls on each of the sections.  I was hoping you could tell me if these were original.  I have only seen a few other Macey bookcases with the white pulls - almost all the ones I have seen have brass pulls.

Thank you so much for your help!

one section, 5 rows, top and base.

wood is mahogany, this is good, many are sweet gum wood stained mahogany!

You are correct that the knobs are usually small and brass.  However, these might have been ordered with these knobs.  Be a detective.  remove a know and inspect for dirt and debris in the hole where the screw goes through.  Check for discoloration on the knob that would be expected after 10 years of use, check for discoloration where the knob mates to the door front.  if all is clean then they have probably been changed.

you did well, wholesale these price at 650-850 and sell retail up to 1500 conservatively.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971