Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mersman table #4857 I-2

Question
Mermans Tables
Mermans Tables  
How much is this piece worth? What is the best way to refinish ?

Answer
Hi Dolores
Nice to hear from you.
Here are the complete instructions for your job.
As the table has been painted, its going to be messy. So keep that in mind. Just work away at it.
It will be beautiful.
The top is mahogany so hopefully the legs are too. This wood finishes beautifully.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR STRIPPING DOLORES"S TABLE
The first thing you must do is assemble the material to do the job.
The stripper is the most important item.  
I am hoping you can get "CIRCA 1850" brand paint and varnish remover in your area.
Here is a link
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1694&familyN
If this is not available, ask for an "MC" stripper.

MATERIAL LIST For the stripping stage.
1 gallon stripper
3 boxes of Bull Dog steel wool in medium grade.
One 3 inch oil based paint brush.
Rubber gloves (like you do dishes with), and a pair of cotton gloves inside the rubber ones.
People react differently to stripper. A lot of people feel heat through the rubber gloves, but I feel cold. Have no idea why.
An empty large coffee can. (for the stripper)
A couple of old tooth brushes.
Lots of old rags (I like t-shirts or cotton but for this first stage whatever you have)
Lots of newspaper to protect the garage floor
LOTS OF VENTILATION..A MUST
That's all you need to get started.
HERES WHAT YOU DO...
Work in sections.
Brush on the stripper with the brush. Stripper will quit working if it dries, so keep it wet till the finish softens.
Then take a rag and wipe this mess off.
Then another coat of stripper, rag off again, then while the wood is still wet, take the steel wool and rub with the grain till the wood is nice and clean.
Depending on the material you are removing, another coat of stripper is often needed but you will know this as you progress into the job.
Use the toothbrush in crevices.
Thats all there is to it ...move to another section and continue.
No other prep is necessary...and DO NOT SAND
When the stripping is complete, stain with Minwax stain applied with a rag, then 3 or 4 coats of low lustre tung oil also applied with a rag.
For this table I would stain with Minwax "Special walnut" color.
Value as is..not much..around 75 to 100$ in my neck of the woods.
Value after refinishing..depends on the job.
Please let me know if anything is not 100% clear.
Regards
Eileen  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk