Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Michigan Chair Company

Chair lable
Chair lable  

I have a clawfoot chair with a lable "Michigan Chair Company".
Can you tell me how old it is and if it has any value.
Please see the pictures attached.

Thank you.

Tom - That label was used by Michigan Chair Co from its founding in 1899 to sometime in the early 1920s. The red triangle was the mark of members of the Furniture Manufacturer's Association and was attached to every item produced by a member beginning in 1899 until the 1920s. Some members like Michigan Chair even incorporated the triangle into their logo. Your chair was made in this period but I can't get any closer on the date.

The chair is a Colonial Revival reproduction of an 18th century Chippendale chair, probably made of solid mahogany with a leather seat but I can't see many details from the fuzzy photo.

While the chair is close to or maybe even older than 100 years it has no particular antique value since it is factory made, mass produced reproduction. It would sell at auction in the $75-$150 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida