Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Chair

Question
old chair
old chair  
old chair veiw
old chair veiw  
QUESTION: Would appreciate any info on old chair, The chair measures in front and back 14 1/2 inches, 17 inches at the widest point of seat, The seat is bead and groove hinge, The front legs are mushroomed on the bottoms from wear, Thank you very much

ANSWER: need to know if the back is one piece of wood or is laminated.  send a picture of the top edge of the back and also need a picture of the bottom underneath of the seat.

top edge
top edge  

bottom
bottom  
QUESTION: Thank you very much

The back of the chair appears to be Laminated, but I'm not sure here's the pictures you wanted, Please let me know if you need others, or more close ups of other areas of chair.
By the way on the bottom the name Smyth was my step Grandpa's name.

P.S .While I was viewing the pictures to send you, They proved quite interesting especially when rotating the pictures.

Your Knowledge and expertise is greatly appreciated on this chair, Thank you very much.

Rodney

Answer
the back looks to be one piece with pressed carvings as it should be for an 1890-1910 kitchen chair.

the legs have most likely been cut off a bit removing part of what might have been a foot shaped much like a top or turnip.

the wood of the seat appears to be chestnut.

i needed the extra pictures to make sure it was not a 1970-80 reproduction.

unfortunately single chairs do not bring much money in the market place.

many companies, 1000s, made this style in oak, chestnut, hickory, birch, cherry, and mixed woods

this one is a nice one that sold at high prices around 1900.  probably $2.15, high at the time.

regluing and refinishing would be a good thing or even better, do a clean up fitst with Briwax in a dark color.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein