Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Very rare "Egg Chair" style

Chair 1
Chair 1  

Chair 2
Chair 2  
Hello Michael,

I find your articles very interesting. I have a question to ask you: I have inherited my grandma's belongings and I have found this very rare chair which I cannot really find on the internet. It is clearly an inspired "egg chair" but it does not quite look like the real one. It looks to me like a 1970's piece of furniture but I'm not sure as I am really not an expert. It has four wooden legs. My mum says she doesn't remember when the chair was purchased but she reckons it's been home for a very, very long time. We really don't know what we have in terms of the origins/manufacturing of this chair...

Here are some pictures. If you could please have a look and tell me what you think it would be very much appreciated.

Thank You so much!!!

I need to see photos of the base and an image of the entire piece. At first glance this looks like it could be Danish circa 1960s/1970's but I need to see the base to be sure of my analysis. This is not really called an egg chair or even inspired by it, it is just a high back lounging armchair.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson

I will attempt to answer questions about European Antique Furniture and 20th Century Decorative arts and Design furniture, including 18th century & 19th century construction details, style, period and the craftsmen and manufactures that created them, I will also attempt to answer questions about buying European Antiques and how to become a expert collector, my speciality is French, Italian, English, Irish, Spanish, Belgium, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, German, and Swiss.

Since 1995, I have been, a professional art, antiques and design advisor and earned an unparalleled reputation for providing select clients: expertise in making informed purchase decisions for antiques and art acquisition from a wide range of categories and eras. Architects, interior designers, decorators, dealers, museums, collectors and private clients rely on me for a wide variety of services. I specialize in finding and facilitating the purchase of some of the most notable pieces in the market today. And because I know the market so well –including the secret locations where the world's best dealers purchase their stock – I are generally able to do this at a significant saving of both time and money. My service includes: creating collecting and acquisition strategy including organizing personally guided buying trips throughout the International art and antiques markets, pre-shopping research, sourcing, analysis of markets, documentation and expert appraisals, handling, shipping and delivery coordination. In short, everything my clients need to be assured of the most knowledgeable, reliable, and pleasurable sourcing, acquisition and collecting experience. My approach is to offer maximum transparency. You can visit my website at:

Moving to Paris in 1989, I worked, for five years as an Interior Design Project Manager for Polo Ralph Lauren where I helped to plan and open more than 60 Polo stores and showrooms across Europe and purchased antiques for one of Mr. Lauren's homes and as a result I oversaw the purchase of millions of dollars of Art & Antiques, this experience gave a unique qualifications to understand the complexities of this market and gives me a rare insight into the professional antique & art market. I also have taught “Furniture Design and Style” at the IESA (Institute Arts Superior) in Paris. and have a personal archive of over 170,000 photos of Furniture and 160 hours of video of the major European art and antiques fairs including: Paris’s Biennale des Antiquaires , Maastricht’s TAAF , and London’s Grosvenor House. Some of these videos can be see at:

I have a prestigious international clientele of noted business and entertainment figures as well as some of the word’s most important collectors, References are provided for serious enquires.